Feb 27, 2012

The dilemma of self-help

I have a confession to make. I love reading self-help books, Christian and secular. I hate the term ‘self-help’, though, because  somehow the word ‘self-help’ connotes total independence and an “I can do it by myself'” prideful attitude. And I’m not that naive to think that I can ‘succeed’ and be truly content without God’s power.

Take this title, for instance: The Magic of Thinking Big – Acquire the Secrets of Success… Achieve Everything You’ve Always Wanted.  The subtitle is a little overinflated, perhaps, but this book by David J. Schwartz (first published in 1959) is full of basic wisdom for succeeding in life. I believe we can ALWAYS improve our lives… which brings me to the words ‘self-improvement’… those can be a touchy set of words, as well.

The book is really about setting right habits for success. Like having a positive attitude, the power of negative thoughts, how to think big, you are what you think you are (that’s biblical!),  use goals to help you grow, get the action habit, think right toward people, etc.. 

I have earmarked so many pages in this old book, because of all the great quotes.

Such as:

“A man is not a doing much until the cause he works for possesses all there is of him” John Wanamaker   True, no?

“Lots of good dreams never come true because we say, “I’ll start some day”, when we should say “I’ll start now, right now.”

“How you think when you lose determines how long it will be until you win.”

Schwartz includes practical examples of how to use the advice he gives, and he bases his advice on true life examples. I think he was ahead of his time, because his motto definitely is ‘just do it’. Example: don’t wait for inspiration or desire. Do this today: Pick the one thing you like to do least. Then, without letting yourself deliberate or dread the task, do it. That’s the most efficient way to handle chores.

That’s pretty basic.  He says “NOW” is the magic word of success. I could get a lot more done if I followed THAT advice more often!

A lot of what he says is biblical.  This book is about genuinely caring for and respecting others and self. 

A book like this reminds me that the Bible is full of powerful wisdom for life and when it’s presented by someone who has seen the principles working  in people’s lives, it’s a good thing. After all, all truth (no matter where you find it) is God’s truth.

3 comments:

  1. Sounds like a really useful book! Even putting one thing in practice would be worthwhile.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Learning and employing new habits is good. We have an easier time accepting it if it is a physical idea - the benefits of adding 30 minutes of exercise three times a week are extensive and obvious. People, for some reason, have a harder time with mental stuff. I think we sometimes get 'mental' and 'spiritual' mixed up. Most self-help stuff is just changing the way you think, right?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Learning and employing new habits is good. We have an easier time accepting it if it is a physical idea - the benefits of adding 30 minutes of exercise three times a week are extensive and obvious. People, for some reason, have a harder time with mental stuff. I think we sometimes get 'mental' and 'spiritual' mixed up. Most self-help stuff is just changing the way you think, right?

    ReplyDelete

Hey, thanks for popping by and leaving a comment!