Feb 13, 2012

Connection

I came across a great definition for ‘connection’ recently, as I was reading The Gifts of Imperfection by Brene Brown.

The energy that exists between people when they feel seen, heard, and valued; when they can give and receive without judgment; and when they derive sustenance and strength from the relationship.

Whoa, is that not a clear definition? When I read that, I feel a little overwhelmed because, to be honest, I certainly haven’t had that ALL the time, with my relationships! But it certainly is something to strive towards, isn’t it?

With Valentine’s Day coming up (whether you love that day or not!), it’s a good time to think about the connection we have with our loved ones. Nice thing about connections, they CAN be strengthened!

I came across the Love Language Challenge today, which fits in very well with Valentine’s Day. It turns out my strongest language is Acts of Service, with Words of Affirmation and Spending Time Together running a tie for  a close second. Don’t know if that’s quite right, but close enough.  Anyway, both spouses are encouraged to take the quiz and then sign up for the Challenge, which basically means that they will be sent one email a week for 5 weeks with ideas to show love to their spouses, using their dominant love language. Neat idea, hey? I can live with 5 emails over 5 weeks directed to my inbox, so I signed us up. :)

Tomorrow we’re heading to a romantic hockey game!! :)  Blazers against Edmonton—a big game, I’ve been told! Hoping there’s an act of service included… bringing me a nice coffee, perhaps?

Happy Valentine’s Day, dear readers!

2 comments:

  1. Wishing you two a "Happy Valentine's Day" date together!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Happy Valentine's Day! Enjoy your romantic hockey game. I have romantic night class. Matt gets to stay home. ;-)

    ReplyDelete

Hey, thanks for popping by and leaving a comment!