Dec 19, 2011

Mocha Truffles

Here’s a recipe that I discovered when I first moved to Kamloops. It was in a Taste of Home magazine. This recipe was so good, it was requested by many. I lent my magazine out, and never did get it back .  Couldn’t find the recipe for years, then one day, lo and behold, it appeared on the internet!!

Because one of you requested it….

Mocha Truffles

4 c. semi sweet choc chips

1- 8 oz pkg of cream cheese (although you can get away with less, but I like the max amount!)

3 T instant coffee granules, dissolved in 2 tsp water

2 c. semi sweet choc chips or choc wafers (dark, milk, and/or white)

1/4 c. shortening

1. Melt 4 c. choc chips in a double boiler or microwave.

2. Blend in cream cheese and coffee/water.

3. Chill enough to shape (about an hour or less)

4. Shape into balls 1 inch in diameter.

5. Set on wax paper and place in freezer until very firm (1 hour?) I put them out on the deck in winter.

6. Melt remaining  2 c. chocolate. Add shortening (I don’t always do this, though).

7. Stir until smooth.

8. Drop frozen balls into chocolate, stir quickly; immediately remove and place on waxed paper.

9. Allow to cool and harden.

10. Drizzle some white choc on top, if desired.

11. Store in freezer or cool, dry place (that sounds like Kamloops in the winter!)

ENJOY!

I’d include a picture, but at this point, the mixture is still in the bowl, sitting on my deck. Tomorrow I roll…

3 comments:

  1. Thanks so much! I don't ever use shortening. You said you don't always add it. Does the chocolate still harden without it?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Kristie, I don't remember ever having trouble with leaving it out, but I can't guarantee.. I wonder if a bit of butter would work? I thought it just made the chocolate a bit thinner and easier to work with..didn't think about the hardening aspect.

    ReplyDelete

Hey, thanks for popping by and leaving a comment!