Nov 28, 2011

Ruts and Guts

I’m sure all of us have found ourselves in a rut once or twice.

Maybe it’s the meal rut. Same meals every week. Personally, I don’t know how I can possibly get in a meal rut with so many good cookbooks around AND the infernal internet at my fingertips. But I do.

Maybe it’s the exercise (or lack thereof) rut. Once a week spin cycling is NOT going to get or keep me in shape. I keep considering doing something more. But I’m stuck in the ‘considering exercise’ rut. If I don’t watch out, I’m going to have to widen that rut to keep me comfortable!

Maybe it’s the attitude rut. Negativity can be a deep rut, and a comfortable one, too. Come to think of it, the longer I’m in this rut, the more it feels like home. Bad.

Maybe it’s the selfish rut. It’s all about ME, me, me and what I want and need. This is pretty well the stinkiest rut around. Why is it that at Christmas time, I start to see all the things I want? Ban those catalogues and flyers, I say!

Maybe it’s the ‘treading water’ rut. I look around at my house and see that I am barely keeping up with the housework. I look at my workspace and see that I’m barely keeping up with the requirements of the job. I look at my social calendar and see that I can barely be considered a social animal at times. Unless I’m a bear in hibernation, of course.

Maybe it’s the intentions rut. Lots of ideas, thoughts, and wishes. But none of the ‘just do it’ – ness. Oh, this rut comes with lots of excuses that have to be tossed out of the rut before one can even move!

So, how to get out of those ruts? It takes guts!

Well, as they say in the 12 step program. First, admit you’re in one. “Hi, my name is Rutger, and I’m a rut-aholic”, or something to that effect. 

And of course, one step at a time to get out. Or even two steps forward, one step back will do.

Not that easy, of course.

Have you gotten yourself out of a rut lately?

2 comments:

  1. I think a large part of the problem you describe is the time of the year. I think those of us that live in northern locations need to be kind to ourselves at this time of the year. Coping in November, December and January takes more courage than it does in May, June and July. Perhaps the goal should be to keep the ruts from becoming too large, and making plans for avoiding them entirely once the longer days of sunlight return.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think that Kristie hit the nail on the head.

    ReplyDelete

Hey, thanks for popping by and leaving a comment!