Nov 16, 2011

Coffee and Christians

According to coffee lore, the church may be responsible for the popularity of coffee. Way back in the 16th century, advisors to Pope Clement VIII wanted him to declare coffee a drink of the devil because of its popularity amongst Muslims. Pope Clement must have liked his double shot of espresso because he said, “This devil’s drink is so good we should cheat the devil by baptizing it.”

From http://www.qideas.org/essays/postmodern-wells-creating-a-third-place.aspx?page=3

Personally, I think Starbucks is the most sanctified coffee! ;)

2 comments:

  1. LOVE IT! Looking forward to our "sanctified" drinks next week!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. As I was reading it, I expected you to say he did declare it evil and then everybody wanted to have it.
    Silly me. So pessimistic about the nature of people. :-)
    Either way, I love coffee!

    ReplyDelete

Hey, thanks for popping by and leaving a comment!