Oct 3, 2011

Everything in Moderation

spin cycling Just got back from another spin cycling/yoga class. I have to say, that  45 minute cycling class has been a bit of a challenge for me. Still trying to figure out how hard to push myself.  Today, about half way through the class, I felt extremely dizzy and nauseous.  When it seemed everyone else was ramping up, I was bringing ‘er down, trying to  find my optimum level of workout without killing myself. It’s tough being one of the oldest in the class. I want to believe that I’m as able as the next 30 or 40 something women, but I am beginning to face the fact that I’m not (not as able and not 30 or 40!). Having issues with my blood pressure lately doesn’t help things. It’s quite disappointing, actually. But that could be another blog post, and it wouldn’t be a pretty one!

Tonight I came upon an article about a study conducted at Penn State U on the results of moderate to high intensity exercise on women 40-60 years old. The found that ‘middle aged women –(that’s me-) encouraged to exercise at moderate intensity were much happier and more likely to continue working out than peers who exercised more intensely. They were twice as likely to feel energized and confident they could do more exercise in the future, and more of them showed decreased feelings of sadness and anxiety than the vigorous exercise group.’ This result was more indicative of women who had not previously exercised or were overweight.

It turns out that middle aged women are among the least active and their level of physical activity decreases as they get older.  I don’t want to be one of those statistics, especially since there are mental as well as physical benefits to moving intentionally for at least 30 minutes a day.  I hope to take after my Oma (years ago) who practiced flexibility exercises faithfully every morning well into old age. 

After reading that article, I realized that pushing myself too hard isn’t necessary. I think I’ll ditch the vigorous exercise and stick with the moderate, even while spin cycling.  Hello energy, confidence, and happiness! Goodbye disappointment and frustration!

Do you exercise moderately on a regular basis?

4 comments:

  1. nope :)
    After running around at work all day, or doing errands and shopping...I have no energy left. And my feet hurt. I don't remember the last time I intentionally exercised. You could probably out-bike me no problem!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I wish I had been able to take this class with you! But then again, maybe not after hearing your description of how you feel. I am sure it would be the same for me!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I let my gym routine slide to the back burner when the semester started and I'm already feeling regretful about that - physically and mentally. I'm trying to figure out a way to work it back in. The thing about priorities is you can only have so many. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm supposed to get 30 minutes of exercise a day to help control my blood pressure but I have to admit that it hasn't happened since I got back into my fall routine. :(

    ReplyDelete

Hey, thanks for popping by and leaving a comment!